Module 4 explains the purpose of anticipatory guidance and highlights key issues that should be discussed with parents to promote children’s oral health. A description of fluoride varnish is provided, and its efficacy in preventing dental caries is discussed. The module includes step-by-step instructions for applying fluoride varnish, with a video demonstrating the process. The module also discusses referral to a dentist and the concept of the dental home. Finally, a fluoride varnish periodicity schedule is provided, and fluoride varnish reimbursement is covered.
- Explain the purpose of anticipatory guidance.
- List the three most frequently discussed anticipatory guidance topics.
- Explain the purpose of fluoride varnish.
- List three things required to apply fluoride varnish.
- Explain the meaning of “dental home.”
- List three reasons to refer a child to a dentist immediately.